Friday, August 8, 2008

Hillary Clintons Dismays Fervent Supporter

Barbara from California writes: I sent the following to Senator Clinton yesterday:

The Honorable Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton:

Mrs. Clinton, I am writing this letter to let you know I supported you throughout your campaign. I contributed to your cause when I had only a small amount of funds to offer. I left my daughter at home while I drove 30 miles one way night-after-night to telephone for your cause (our cause).

I did this because my 3 year old daughter from China needed to understand that we recognize that women are important. She needed to know that her life, whatever it may be, is equally as important as any male child and we celebrate that.

[During the primaries,] she would run around the house shouting, “Go Hillary! Hillary is for girls!”

[But] I now hear you, the only one who can decide, will not place your request in writing for the Nomination as the Presidential Candidate for the Democratic Party. That is beyond my comprehension.

You promised you would not let me down. You promised you would stand with me…if I stood with you.

Now, at the end of the day, you are standing. However, you are not standing by me or my daughter but rather by Barack Obama. I will somehow let my daughter know [the situation] in the months ahead.

I am so ashamed of who you are at this moment. I cannot believe I feel this way.

Now, I will not stand by you. I will not stand by Barack Obama. I will never stand by any Democrat that had a hand in this nomination. I will fight to see all of these Democrats are sent on their way -- hopefully never again to grace the halls of my nation's Capital.

Barbara
California, USA


Steve adds: We should hold our leaders to high standards of behavior. If we hold them instead to low standards, they will certainly "live down" to them. A leader must lead -- not sit around determining what is the most politically expedient thing for them to do. Sen. Clinton's supporters expected more from her than she's chosen to give them.

1 comment:

Sara_B said...

What a colossal mistake. How sad...