Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sarah Palin Belongs to America

SAINT PAUL, Minn. - This evening Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican Party's vice presidential nominee, will address the 2008 Republican National Convention. Excerpts from the governor's remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below.

Hillary Supporter Michelle's response to Sarah on the world stage:
That was the most amazing, most tremendous speech I have been witness to. I stood up in my living room several times and rah rah'd her. Rudy kicked butt too! I truly can see her as President. Train under McCain Ms. Palin and then I promise to vote for you when you run. Good Lord I have goosebumps!!!

My husband and father were amazed. My father said she needed to run for President! HA! Two southern, stereotypical men were exclaiming outloud at parts. It was kind of funny. My husband said "Good God, she is one of us! One of us is going to the White House!" I think he said it the best.

Michelle

Excerpts from Sarah's speech below:

God bless you all -- bloggers and other vistors. You played a role in bringing about a great night in American history. "Sarah, now you belong to America," a statement I had the honor of making to an important regular reader of my blog, Sarah Heath Palin. "She hit that one out of the park." (Wolf Britzer)"The most macho speech of the night was given by a woman." (Alex Castellanos)

I liked the Mt. Rushmore image they ran behind her at one point.

On her experience as a public servant: "I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids' public education better.

When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities." On why she is going to Washington, D.C.: "I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.

But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

On energy policies that the McCain-Palin administration will implement: "Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems - as if we all didn't know that already. But the fact that drilling won't solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all. Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we're going to lay more pipelines...build more nuclear plants...create jobs with clean coal...and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources. We need American energy resources, brought to you by American ingenuity, and produced by American workers." On John McCain: "Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

2 comments:

kari said...

yeah, nice move on supporting this guy. he called your girl a bitch. you MIGHT be backing the wrong horse.

Anonymous said...

I am greatly confused by the name of you blog because to me it seems so contradictory. Under what circumstances are Hilary and McCain similiar? And how does Sarah Palin factor into your decision regarding this election? The McCain/Palin ticket support issues that Hilary opposed (environment, Creationism in schools, reversing Roe v. Wade) and oppose issues that Hilary championed (issues of choice, equality for same-sex couples, her vision of health care, education, energy etc... etc... etc...)

How can a vote against everything Hilary stood for be a positive choice?